Distinguished guests, past presidents, fellow librarians, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to LOVELY PAARL @ 39. Today marks the Association's 39th General Assembly, induction and Awards Ceremonies.
I am delighted to report to you portfolio of achievements in behalf of the PAARL Board of 2011, the Standing and Ad-hoc Committees. This became possible because of our fully-engaged members - librarians, library personnel and other information professionals who actively participated in the different programs and activities of a member-driven association, that is, PAARL, Inc.
INDUCTION OF OFFICERS
Mrs. Corazon M. Nera, BFL Chair and Association's former president, inducted into office the PAARL Board and Officers for 2011 at the Epifanio delos Santos Auditorium of the National Library of the Philippines on January 28, 2011, Friday.
Before the Regular meetings, the PAARL Boards had the Annual Planning Workshop in one residential house in Tagaytay City. The chairs of the various committees were appointed and the tentative topics and activities for 2011 were discussed.
The Board organized one 3-day national summer conference themed on “Library Tourism & Hospitality: The Business of Endearing Philippine Libraries and Information Services to Publics.” This professional activity was held on April 27-29, 2011 at the Lake Houses 1 & 2 of San Antonio Resort, Baybay Beach, Roxas City, Capiz 5800, Philippines.
The conference was geared towards:
1. drawing a marketing landscape for libraries and information centers in bringing out a service differentiation, library hospitality plus successful repeat service, that sends not only online but a worldwide impact satisfying patrons with huge resources in and outside of the library;
2. promoting library services and products in a business-like manner that seduces clients to go back again and again and become their solid patrons not only to fill up their chairs and spaces but also to interact and be involved responsibly with personal causes; and,
3. becoming “community solution centers where people are learning new skills, meeting their neighbors and getting practical help with some of life’s essentials” and be international centers for information, cultural and multilingual services to widen their market in order for each to travel around and take library services nationwide and around the world.
Our PAARL Academy offered a 2-day Modular Training Program on Bibliotherapy Services through Book Prescription Shops in Libraries & Information Centers with the National Bookstore as co-sponsor. Participants were pleased with the different presentations of resource persons held on May 19-20, 2011, from 8am to 5pm @ the Librarians’ Center of the National Bookstore Superbranch, Cubao, Quezon City.
PAARL Academy’s 2-day Modular Training Program on Bibliotherapy Services through Book Prescription Shops in Libraries & Information Centers was aimed at assisting libraries and librarians to consider putting up a book prescription shop appropriate for their clients by:
1. acquiring speaker’s practical tips, hints and experiences of setting up a new library and information service known as Book Prescription Services (BPS );
2. developing a comprehensive collection of materials to support Book Prescription Services (BPS ); and,
3. creating a program of bibliotherapy based on certain technical guidelines and principles learned.
FORA & TOURS
All year-round, PAARL, Inc, either online or not, its presence was extremely felt and its dynamism in informing everyone its monthly projects and activities is newsworthy:
18 February Forum: Face2Face: Finding Your Balance in Handling Difficult Customers: 1pm @ the Conference Hall of the Miguel de Benavides Library of UST (co-sponsor), España, Manila
18 March Forum: Organizing & Publishing @ The Fort, professionals’ Best CPE: 1pm @ the Fully Booked-Bonifacio Global City (co-sponsor), Bldg. 6, 902 Bonifacio High Street, Bonifacio Global City, 1634 Taguig City.
13 July Forum: Librarians’ Service and Teaching Portfolios: Creating & Collecting with ABAP as co-sponsor: @ 10am to 3pm, Seminar Rooms of Megatrade Hall 3, 5th Level Mega B, SM Megamall, EDSA, Mandaluyong City on the occasion of the 15th Philippine Academic Book Fair
22 August Tour of Outstanding Academic Libraries: De La Salle University Library, UST Miguel de Benavides Library, Asian Development Bank and Rizal Library, Ateneo de Manila University
PAARL, Inc. initiated this activity to provide librarians, library personnel and library enthusiasts to see face to face growth of outstanding academic libraries in the Philippines, to observe best library practices only the above mentioned libraries can demonstrate, and listen to success stories about each of them.
14 September Forum: Policing Plagiarism & Copyright Updates with MIBF as co-sponsor 1pm to 3:30pm, Meeting Rooms 4-6, SMX Convention Center, SM Mall of Asia, Pasay City on the occasion of the 32nd Annual Manila International Book Fair!
19-22 October Exciting Hong Kong: Library Observation in Exciting Hong Kong, a 4-day educational tour in Asia’s World City, Hong Kong
This most awaited international exposure brought together the excitement of visiting Hong Kong’s selected state-of-the-art libraries, a chance to learn in a seminar-orientation with Hong Kong’s high-profile information specialists, experience cultural immersion and warm hospitality of its people and a glimpse to Hong Kong’s top destinations and sceneries.
Specifically, the tour aimed to:
1. benchmark with Hong Kong’s Libraries;
2. observe the latest technological progress and infrastructures in selected Hong Kong libraries;
3. learn new trends and meaningful concepts of library services from selected Hong Kong libraries;
4. foster professional and cultural exchange between Filipino and Hong Kong librarians;
5. establish a linkage among Hong Kong library associations for future collaborative undertakings in the region.
25 November Forum: Library Personnel Productivity & Leadership 2011 with PAARLNet: Update & Upgrade with the National Library of the Philippines as co-sponsor @ 8am to 12noon @ the Epifanio de los Santos Auditorium of the National Library of the Philippines
SCHOLARSHIP Recipients were:
1. Masteral Thesis Grantee: Augusto Salvador of de La Salle University-Manila
2. Local Conference Grantee: Everest Mont of Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila for attending PLAI National Conference on Libraries for Progress held on November 16-18, 2011 in Hotel Elizabeth, Gibraltar Street, Baguio City East, Baguio City.
AWARDS Recipients were:
1. Salvacion M. Arlante for Lifetime Achievement Award
2. Maribeth D. Aguila and Rosalie Faderon for Outstanding Librarians of the Year Award
3. University of the East Library for Outstanding Academic Library of the Year Award
4. Research Made Easy, University of the Philippines-Diliman for Outstanding Library Program of the Year Award
5. Christopher C. Paras for Professional Service Award
AWARDS RECEIVED from Courseline Training and Library Services International, Cavite Chapter. Recipient were:
1. PAARL, Inc. for a Plaque of Library Service Award
2. Roderick B. Ramos for a Plaque of Leadership Award
MEMBERSHIP FOR 2011
NEWSLETTER AND DIRECTORY OF MEMBERS
The Publication Committee chaired my Mr. Sonny Boy Manalo was able to publish three (3) issues of the PAARL Newsletter and distributed cd copies of the 2009-2010 Directory of Members.
The treasurer, Ms. Sonia Lourdes David shall give a separate report .
NOMINATION AND ELECTION
Mrs. Marietta Molina will give her report as chair of the NOMELEC.
OTHER PROJECTS AND ACTIVITIES
1. 16-18 November Attendance of the Association’s president to PLAI National Conference on Libraries for Progress held on November 16-18, 2011 in Hotel Elizabeth, Gibraltar Street, Baguio City East, Baguio City.
2. 30 November, Attendance of the 2011 Executive Board to the General Assembly and Librarians’ Day of PLAI, Inc., Hyatt Hotel and Casino Manila.
3. 3 December, Biyaheng Region 3: Out & Reach 2011 w/ Mt. Pinatubo Crater Adventure Day Tour with the Association of Special Libraries of the Philippines as co-sponsor
This activity aimed at demonstrating a giving heart and for each joiner to stimulate a spirit of adventure with the Association's partnership towards accomplishing one year-end mission, and that is, to support underprivileged libraries and learning centers in Region 3 (books & donations in cash or in kind) and at the same time be excited to explore Mt. Pinatubo's mystic crater.
CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION
In recognition of the valuable support of our sponsors and benefactors, we would like to present a simple certificate of appreciation to the following:
1. Arc n Ciel
2. C & E Publishing, Inc.
3. CD Books International
5. Electronic Information Solutions, Inc.
6. Global International Education Link Enterprises Co.
7. Higher Learning Books and Office Supplies Inc.
9. MegaTexts Phils
10. MFT Inc.
11. Omnibooks International, Inc.
12. Linar Educational Materials, Inc.
13. Belview Co., Inc.
14. Creative Minds
15. EDCA Publishing and Distributing Corp.
In conclusion, I would like to express my deepest appreciation and gratitude for a wonderful portfolio of achievements with productive, fully-engaged, member-driven:
1. 2011 Members of the Board:
1.1 Sonia Gementiza of DLSU-Dasma
1.2 Carolyn de Jesus of Letran College-Manila
1.3 Sonia Lourdes David of APS
1.4 Cecil Lobo of UST
1.5 Sonny Boy Manalo of TIP-QC
1.6 Ma. Theresa Villanueva of ADMU
1.7 Victoria Baleva of CEU, who received a certificate of appreciation
1.8 Lea Haler of SSC
1.9 Christopher Paras
2. Chairs of the Standing and Ad-Hoc Committees, who received certificates of appreciation:
2.1 Teresita Moran of FEU, chair for International Affairs
2.2 Marlo Chavez of SB, chair for Awards
2.3 Marietta Molina of CEU, chair for NOMELEC
2.4 Elvira lapuz of UP-Diliman, chair for Scholarships
2.5 Susan Pador of UST, chair for Ethics
3. Council of Elders, who received certificates of appreciation:
3.1 Belen Vibar of UAP
3.2 Corazon Nera of LUP
3.3 Marlo Chavez of SBC
3.4 Rodolfo Tarlit of UP-Diliman
3.5 Salvacion Arlante of UP-Diliman
4. Individual and institutional members of PAARL, Inc., for patronizing every activity of the Association.
Good health to us all. God bless and thank you.